31 Mar 2015

Foundation Finishes, The Key To Your Final Look.


When looking for a foundation not only do you have to colour match but you also need to think about things like:
  • Your skin type. This is as most foundations now come with some kind of skincare hidden inside.
  • What coverage you want. This is how much of your natural skin you want to show through the foundation.
  • What formula you want.  Foundation can come in many forms, liquid, powder, cream, mousse, mineral, cake, stick, liquid to powder, etc.
  • What finish you want. This is what you want your skin to look like once the foundation has settled.
Today I want to touch on foundation finishes. I will be using liquid foundations to demonstrate. A foundations finish is how you want your skin to look not just how much skin you want to show through your foundation. A finish can be altered by using a powder on top, this can set the foundation so it doesn't move and gives it a powder or matte finish. We always talk about what coverage a foundation or base has, its longevity, if it settled into any lines or has creased. But it is seldom that finishes are brought up. Personally for years I was a fan of the matte finish as I have an oily combo skin type, but as I have learned more about my skin and how to care for it oil has become less of a problem. This has opened my foundation experience up exponentially and I've been able to try new and different formulations. I'm still a fan of my liquid to powder foundation that gives a natural finish but I'm up for trying more. So to begin let's go through a few different finishes that are available from your foundation. 
  1. Natural. This is best described as what your skin would normally look like just with a more even, natural colour. This is the most common finish that foundation comes in.
  2. Matte. This one is designed for those who despise shine, they tend to look more like a powder once set.
  3. Satin. The satin finish can sometimes be described as a sheen as it's not dewy but its not matte, it's a comfortable in between.
  4. Luminous. Also called dewy this makes your skin appear as though it is glowing from within with a opalescent sheen. Not to be mistaken for shiny. We never want shiny. 
Below I've applied a few different liquid foundation finishes I own so you can see the difference and maybe identify the one you prefer to wear. I have only applied foundation to the left side of my face so as you're viewing this you'll be looking at the right side. (Hope that makes sense) All these photos have been taken in natural sunlight with no editing or filters besides the line down the middle. No other makeup or primer has been applied so you can see the true finish. Primers also have the ability to change a foundations finish as does a powder.

L'Oreal Nude Magique Eau De Teint Foundation - Natural Finish
Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation - Matte Finish
Maybelline Dream Wonder Fluid Touch Foundation - Satin Finish
Youngblood Liquid Mineral Foundation - Luminous Finish
Which finish is your favourite? Drop me a comment below and let me know!

In between blogging you can find me on Instagram. (I've been lazy with my Facebook lately)

Until next time,

Shannon.
Shannon Michelle Beauty

These thoughts and opinions are completely my own, This post is not sponsored, nor were these products provided to me.
* some information has been sourced from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment